Monday, September 22, 2008

Needs analysis......hmmmm. I wonder if there was a needs analysis done on our students when the new curriculum was adopted. I doubt it. If there was, they would have taken into account that our students have a different cultural background from the majority population. They would have also figured out that our context is different and many of our students learn through "hands on" teaching. It is ironic that although our school has an improvement plan in progress, there hasn't been a needs analysis done on our students. (Im not aware of one.) It seems that the improvement plan only further disadvantages our students further by forcing them to learn a curriculum that is foreign to them. The curriculum doesn't take into account our students' unique learning styles and needs. When the Saxon spokepeople came to promote the curriculum, I found myself thinking critically, (which is something I probably wouldn't have done a couple years ago.) They made it sound like the curriculum would do wonders for our school. I found myself thinking, "Of course they are going to make it sound great, its their job!" After looking at the curriculum, I saw how it promoted Western concepts and had very little relevance to our students. Through my experiences in teaching, I like to believe that I have done informal needs analysis' on my students. I know they tend to become bored with concepts they can't relate to. Because I am aware of their learning needs and interests, I am familiar with the topics that will pique their interests. If we did more needs analysis research on our students' maybe we will be able to gather pertinent information that can help us to make real improvements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home