Tuesday, September 16, 2008

chapter 7

While reading this chapter, I found myself relating to many of the points mentioned, specifically the information mentioned regarding mechanistic vs. organic model. I have participated in the mechanistic model and have found it to be very restrictive and a very top down system. The principal in this model told us that he was a "macro" manager and preferred to deal with business in that way. He was very distant from the staff and didn't appear open to teacher ideas. The current principal we have has a different philosophy. He is more approachable and open to ideas from teachers. This chapter has also made me reflect on my past experiences in the Immersion program. I also found some, "Really!" moments. For example on page 205, the author states that, "Language teachers often suffer from poor employment conditions. They are not always recognized as trained professionals with specialized skills and knowledge." I remember when I worked in Immersion, we had more than our fair share of work to do. Translating and gathering stories and songs took a lot of time. Some people may view language teachers in a different light, but I am very satisfied with my child's teacher and knows that she has the expertise for the end goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home